I am slowly making progress in repainting frames from Mix_complete22. It’s a tedious job and it’s a little frustrating seeing that 12 repainted frames, which take approx. 6 hours to do, only result in 1 second of animation. Therefore I will not do this for the entire cutscene. Instead I’ll try to improve only those scenes, that suffered the most during the filtering process. Thrall riding the dragon for the first time ist one of those scenes:
Regarding my last post I have come to the conclusion (after listening to your feedback), that replacing Thrall with another orc is the best solution. This change will not be included in the next beta, though. You’ll have to live with this little continuity error a while longer 😉
One year ago I started the Warcraft Adventures Cutscenes Remaster Project with the intention of adding sound effects to all cutscenes. Since then much has happened and this project has grown quite a bit. In order to celebrate it’s first anniversary, I am working on the next beta, 1.3. Among other improvements (look at the progress page for more details) I am repainting a few scenes in Mix_complete22. But, see for yourself.
There is one problem, though: the orc on the left is Hellscream and I repainted him according to the original video. But, if I am not mistaken, Hellscream has been captured at this point in the game’s story. So, what is he doing here and…what should I do about it? Replace him with another character? Leave him like this, knowing that it’s a continuity error? Suggestions are welcome.
It is time for another beta release! The latest beta 1.2 includes 3 updated cutscenes with reduced compression artifacts. Additionally a few scenes in Mix_complete17 have been redrawn by hand to restore lost details due to previous filtering (read my previous postings for additional informations). Last but not least several color palette errors have been fixed. So, download it while it’s hot:
- improved image quality – numerous compression artifacts have been removed by hand (Mix_complete08, Mix_complete09, Mix_complete10)
- improved image quality – numerous scenes haven been redrawn by hand (Mix_complete17)
- fixed audio – synced a word from Hellscream to the correct mouth movement (Mix_complete08)
- fixed wrong color palette – a color palette error has been fixed (Mix_complete09, Mix_complete24, CS25_A)
Have a look at the new FAQ section in case of any questions you might have!
This project isn’t about just adding sounds any more. In the past few months I have removed a lot of compression artifacts and animations errors. I even repainted a few frames here and there. Therefore the name “Cutscenes Sound Project” didn’t seem to fit any more. Taking this change of plans for the project into consideration, I decided to rename the project to Warcraft Adventures – Cutscenes Remaster Project.
Once again it’s time for a small teaser for the next beta. I’m still working on repainting those scenes of Mix_complete17 that suffered the most during the filtering process.
After finishing Mix_copmplete08 it’s time to have a another look at two problematic cutscenes: Mix_complete17 and 22 were missing in the original leak and had been found later on. Being filmed from a TV screen they were lacking in quality. I used deflickering filters and a waifu upscaling process to improve them. Still, there were scenes I wasn’t satisfied with. So right now I am redrawing certain elements and the difference is quite noticable…
As I’ve previously said, my spare time is rather limited at the moment, but, as you can see, work continues. From time to time, after a demanding day, I just edit a few frames as some form of relaxation. The relaxation part doesn’t always work but at least there will be a Beta 1.2 in the foreseeable future.
Working on Mix_complete08 is no real fun at all. Every 12 frames the video gets pixelated and only improves a little bit between them. So I have to edit most of them in Photoshop. Being one of the longer cutscenes (2123 frames) this one really takes it’s time. Fortunately, most of the remaining cutscenes are much shorter.
I am still working on the project from time to time but, as predicted, progress is slow. While doing my latest playthrough I found a few little bugs which I’ve already fixed. I also removed a few more compression artifacts in Mix_complete09. But other than that there’s not much to tell right now.
Well, that’s not entirely true. I’ve found a better ddraw wrapper for the game. In the past I’ve recommended dgvoodoo, which is still doing a fine job. But, at least on my system, it displayed the cutscenes with sporadic white flashing artifacts. So I searched for an alternative and I’ve found it: DXGL is a relatively new replacement for the Windows ddraw.dll library, running on OpenGL and at least on my system leads to better results. So maybe you’d like to give it a try. In order to make it work you have to install it and remove the ddraw.dll from the Warcraft Adventures game folder. Enjoy 🙂