There’s always room for improvements

I recently discovered how to encode smk files without a noticable quality loss, so I took a closer look at how to improve the cutscenes any further. Most of them are fine, but the intro had it’s share of problems: Being heavily compresses, it suffered from compression artifacts and loss of detail. In addition to that there were a few animation errors, like frames not reaching the bottom or missing mouth animations. So I started improving. I removed a lot of compression artifacts by hand or replaced backgrounds by using later frames as a source. The result really is a big improvement imo.

I’m still planning on releasing the first beta release at the end of the month. Keep your fingers crossed…

Comparison
This frame suffered from heavy compression artifacts. By combining several frames I was able to fix it completely.
Comparison 2
This frame’s background completely lost all of it’s detail. Additionally there were a lot of compression artifacts. I fixed it by using parts of a subsequent frame.
Advertisements

One thought on “There’s always room for improvements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s